Tinker Toy Spider Shift Boot

Friends,

As a first time Alfa owner and new to the Digest, I have been impressed
with both the machine and the readers of the Digest.
However, having just finished attempting to re-align the shift boot on
my 93 Spider, all I can say is "tinker toy".
As an Italian-American, I appreciate all things Italian but this shift
boot design demonstrated someone's head was in the wrong portal.
So ... what is the trick to getting this absurd friction frame/shift
boot combination to stay in place?
Shift from 1st to 2nd or 1st to Reverse and out it pops! Piece of ...
well I won't go there.
Seems the previous owner simply stuffed the boot in the frame but I
cannot accept this defect.
Has anyone had experience with Cernterline's or International's
replacement leather boots?
I do not have the Car Disc (yet) but the Factory Manual does not address
it (I presume they too are embarrassed by the design).
Maybe I am just an idiot looking for the right village to settle down in
but meanwhile any help would be appreciated.

Rob Favali
Manchester CT
93 Spider Veloce with tinker toy shift boot
98 Pathfinder (for ski season)
97 Infiniti J30t (for sale)