wheel spacers

Does anyone have any suggestions on the use of wheel spacers to enable a
7x14" wheel to clear the upper control arm on a '73 GTV?  I tried someone's
spacer from another vehicle and it did clear the wheel without any scraping,
but I have been told they are potentially dangerous and can adversely affect
handling/steering.  I did call Alfa Ricambi and they have them in 7mm
aluminum, but did not have any opinion on safety or handling.  Since they
have them for the old Alfas, does that suggest that they are safe?  All
opinions will be appreciated.  Thanks
Mark Williams