Re: Newbie Questions

Simon Favre answered most of newbie Deborah Witherden's questions, but passed
on "Does someone have a speeds in gear chart available, - - - I don't trust
this speedo too much."

Most road tests give this information one way or another. The older European
road tests usually included mph per 1000 in each gear (1st, 5.3; 2nd, 8.7;
3rd. 12.8; 4th, 17.4; 5th, 21.9 per a 1972 test in Sports Car world, an
Australian publication). Many more recent and/or US tests give it as Speed in
Gears - 1st, 30@5700 rpm; 2nd, 49@5700; 3rd, 70@5700; 4th,97@5700; 5th,
110@5100 which checks out as the same thing, with minor discrepancies from
rounding at one decimal. This should hold for 2000 Spiders with manual
gearboxes, which I believe all carried a 4.10 rear end, and with tires of
original diameter; if the car has been "improved", the owner has to establish
the improvements and adjust accordingly.

Road test compilations, such as R.M Clarke's "Alfa Romeo Spider 1966-1987",
published by Brooklands Books, offer quite a bit of basic data and
information on the evolution and critical evaluations of the cars in
different times and markets.

I of course join Simon's sentiments, "Congrats on your purchase, and welcome
to the Digest."

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1018