Dumb Spider question --- firing order

  I know this is a dumb question but what is the correct firing order
for a '74 Spider?  I'm assuming it's 1-3-4-2 (as indicated by the
markings on the cap) but when I put the plug wires in that order it
won't run at all.  If I move them 90 degrees to 2-1-3-4 then it runs,
but only on 3 cylinders.  I wouldn't think the distributor would have
enough of an adjustment range that it could be off 90 degrees, so my
only thought is that I got the order wrong.  I'm sure this is a simple
problem but for some reason my brain isn't working today.
Thanks
Bryan Carter
No. Va.