Re: Monterey notes, part 2

Chris Prael wrote:

> I spent the whole weekend at the historics, running the flagging at turn 3.
>
> In all your enthusiasm over the TZs, the TZ2, and the the GTA you overlooked
> the first Kamm tail Giulietta Sprint Zagato I have seen at the Historics.

Overlooked?  I missed it completely!  If it was in the program, I'll
have to look up the number and see if I caught a picture of it by
accident.  I noticed a pale grey SZ in the paddock, but on cursory
inspection (no excuse, except to claim the idiosyncrasies of my varied
emotional responses to specific cars) it appeared to be a longtail.

> Marnix Dillenius had the bad fortune to fracture the left front hub exiting 3
> a couple laps from the end of the race. He ground to a halt well short of the
> wall, but with visible damage to the hood.

I was saddened to see that -- from my vantage point as I walked over the
bridge, I could see that the left front corner was much lower than the
rest of the car and guessed there must have been some suspension
damage.  I couldn't see the damage to the bodywork, but what a shame. He
was driving well, and the car was in great song.

And speaking of great song...

> It's odd to me that an Alfa fanatic would find no interest in seeing and
> hearing the divine song of the last Formula 1 Alfa Romeos there will ever be.
> As last year, 2 1983 F1 Alfas ran in the 1967 and later F1 group.

Something else I completely missed.  I'll pay more attention to the F1
group program next year -- the later F1 cars (those built after about
the Lotus 49B, which I *did* see) don't normally register on my personal
radar, but now I have something to look and listen for.

But then, that's part of the whole weekend at the Historics: I don't
think it's physically possible to see, hear, and capture *everything*.
The overload, or maybe just overwhelm, is part of the whole experience.

- --Scott