Monterey notes, part 3

The close of the day was the ARA dinner at Gino's in Salinas.  It was a
wonderful time talking with many, many Alfisti I hadn't met before
(after enjoying about three liters of ice water, plus two glasses of
merlot sipped a bit more slowly, at the bar while they were setting up
for dinner).  Again, since I hadn't known I would be at the event, I
wasn't in Les Fitzsimmons' list, but we were able to sort that one out
and the restaurant simply gave me a separate check for the banquet.
In fact, I think the restaurant staff was at least as helpful and
friendly in accommodating an unexpected guest as the club was.

The drive home was, in some ways, the best part of the day.  I left the
restaurant a little before 10 PM; a waning moon just a few days past
full hung low in the eastern sky as I headed north up Highway 101.  The
twisting hill country near Prunedale is one of my favorite stretches of
that road under any circumstances, but that night, with the cold mists
still blowing in from the ocean and the moon winking through the
eucalyptus trees, a flicker of black and silver as the yellow Carellos
picked out the highway ahead of me... it was magnificent.

I arrived home a little after 11 and had a glass of red wine with my
wife, while I told her the stories of the day.  I looked up the race
group with the GTA and sure enough, there's the driver's name, Heather
Mozart; I'd remembered another Mozart, was it John?, driving in the
early-Fifties sports racing class (the Parkinson Jaguar?  I can't
remember now, and the program is at home).  So in the not entirely
unlikely event that someone on the Digest knows the Mozarts and forwards
these messages, let them know that we toasted her health and that of
her GTA, and if Larry Dickman has any 1750 blocks for sale at APE, I
hope to see her on course sooner rather than later.  I just hope I
can keep up with her!

 --Scott Fisher
   Sunnyvale, California
   1974 Spider Veloce