Re: Who was the great driver at this event?

I don't want to start a war, but I beg to differ. I will go check the
program from the 1985 Historics, but it was my recollection that the
159 was not listed in any of the regular race groups. Fangio was not
an entrant in the event, he was a VIP guest. Such guests are brought
in to drive "demonstration" laps at or near lunchtime. I only remember
the 159 going out twice. By Sunday, it was not running as well as it
had on Saturday. The Saturday session featured Phil Hill in the P2,
Jackie Stewart in the Tipo B (aka P3), and Fangio in the 159. Fangio
was happily lapping the other two like they were standing still. The
"demonstration" laps started with the oldest Alfas in attendance,
followed by the celebrity drivers mentioned, then after thay went in,
the later cars, like a 33TT12 came out, then all the Alfas in the
corral were led onto the track for a parade. This was all part of the
noontime festivities, not a regular race session. The announcer may
have left a different impression, but I really doubt Fangio was driving
the 159 in a regular race session. He was also wearing a leather
helmet, and the car had no seat belts that I could see.

Charlie, of the AROSC wrote:

><< 1985: Alfa Romeo is the featured marque at the Monterey Historics. Alfa
> was, in fact, the FIRST marque to repeat this honor. Fangio is on hand to
> drive the 159 Alfetta around the track at lunchtime. The story is that he
> got the car sideways in the Corkscrew, drove back into the pits, jumped
> out, and said (no doubt in Spanish), "Same car!"  >>
>
>I happened to be there, in the trees, and saw the famous spinout from close
>proximity.  It was exciting, but not in a pace lap nor at lunchtime, but in
>a heat.  Which he finished.  Among the leaders.  Not something you'd forget.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1007