clutch slave cylinder - help

Hello -

I am trying to replace a clutch slave cylinder on my '82 Spider, and I am
having problems sliding the cylinder out.  I have pushed back the two
retainer rings, and I am able to move the cylinder back and forth.  I'm just
not able to slide it out enough to remove it.  I don't have enough clearance
to slide it towards the back of the car because the release fork is in the
way, and I can't slide it towards the front of the car because the rubber
guard on the cylinder is in the way.  I must be missing something obvious,
so can someone please help?

thanks,
Alan White
jaw@domain.elided