Re: 164 Timing Marks

>>>I see an indented line on the toothed pulley.  On the engine
block, I see a casting flange at about 11 o'clock.  Is this the correct
alignment for TDC?<<<

Yes!  And oddly enough the tooth gap is about 5 O'clock, not where you might
expect it.

If the engine ran in an extremely perfect manor prior to removing the timing
belt, marking the cam position at TDC will work.  If there is a question
about cam position, the cam covers must be removed in order to verify that
the cams are in alignment.  The cam markings are about mid length of the
cam.

If you happen to remove the cam covers, you will want to check the valve
adjustment while you are there.  Adjusting the valves usually consists of
the exhaust side only.  The intake side rarely changes and requires cam
removal and a shim assortment.

Caution is in order.  First, hand turn the engine to insure that there is no
interference.  And of course with the mechanical tensioner, you are required
to hand turn the engine along the way.

Enjoy!

Ken Stevenson               Dallas, Texas
91  Alfa Romeo 164L
91  Alfa Romeo 164S
77  Lancia  Monte Carlo    -   AR 3.0  project