Re: CR2016 Batteries for Infrared Alarm Transmitrers

karld@domain.elided wrote:

> I have a '95 164LS with the optical infrared transmitter. They use two CR2016 batteries at the rate
> of at least one set per year.  I have variously found them expensive and/or hard to find.
>
> I recently got a close-out deal on 100 of them. I figured I'd keep a 10 year supply for myself and
> share the rest of them at alightly above break-even price.
>
> For US$1.00 and a stamped envelope you can have two of them delivered to your doorstep anywhere in
> the US. Overseas, please ask about shipping costs. I will consider foreign currency or bottles of
> Chianti.
>
> They are mixed "Sanyo" and "Hitachi-Maxell" brand. They've been on the shelf quite awhile, and have
> a very thin tarnish on them. I sampled two of them by rubbing them with a pure cotton cleaning
> device (my shirt) for a few seconds and popping them in the transmitter. Works fine.
> That's about all the warranty I can offer. If you want to gamble and try two, write me off-line for
> where to send your George Washington.
>
> Ciao!
> Karl

Let's see ... you bought 100 corroded batteries for your transmitter, which uses two per year.  And
now you're offering us the opportunity to buy up the 98 extra corroded, old batteries from you?

I'm no battery scientist, but I do use dozens of small cel batteries per year, professionally.  And if
the outside of a battery has any corrosion (or tarnish <sic>) on it, we would never buy it, or use it
in our equipment.  It indicates inappropriate storage, a deteriorated condition, and/or considerable
aging - three enemies of battery integrity.  Battery integrity is important not so much because you
don't want it to fail in use, but moreso, because if a battery leaks, it can do considerable damage to
the electronic equipment it's being used in.

Additionally, despite what you tell us, Karl, these batteries can be found everywhere.  Virtually
every camera store, Wal-Mart, Ames and Target, and drug store carries them.  They're quite common,
used in hearing aids and cameras, among other devices.  Not to mention the 1,300 places on the
Internet where new, uncorroded CR-2016 battery stock can be purchased from companies who _will_ honor
the batteries' warranty.  In a two-minute search at home, I found tons of places that sell the
batteries new; the first hit I got sells them for $1.75.  New, Duracel stock.  And you can order from
them 24 hrs a day.

Thanks, but I'll pass on helping you unload the nearly 100 old, corroded, unwarranted batteries that
can be found nearly everywhere, Karl.  And I'd encourage Alfisti to think twice before putting old,
mixed-brand, unwarranted, corroding, discount batteries into their expensive alarm remote units, in
order to save .50 cents.  I hate to see junk being put in Alfas, or into expensive or hard-to-replace
Alfa components.  Buy from an organization that will stand behind its product.

~ Douglas
'94 164LS
w/ IR alarm remote

End of alfa-digest V7 #1004