Milano Steering

My '87 Verde has a steering problem that , surprise  surprise, does not involve
a flud leak.  The rack in there now is one I got right from ZF in Illinois (to
replace the one that was leaking).  It has been installed for about 3 years and
35,000 miles.  I began to notice a lot of free play in the steering wheel.  I
checked wheel bearings and universals in the column.  All OK.  Looking at an
exploded drawing of a rack, I noted an assembly that minimized backlash between
the rack and pinion.  I put a slightly thicker washer in there and it helped but
did not cure the problem.  Thinking about that "fix" further, I realized that
keeping the rack pressed against the pinion might eliminate a problem caused by
a gear major diameter problem, but not one based on tooth width at the pitch
diameter.  I can't imagine, however,  worn gears with attendant excessive
backlash in a relatively new rack that has not been abused.

I haven't tried any other Milanos in Houston to compare free play or steering
difficulty when the car is stationary, nor can I remember what mine used to feel
like. Any suggestions as to the source of the problem and a fix?

Mike