Re: Alfa 164 Engine Rebuild?

On Thursday, August 26, 1999 you wrote:
"Hello.  Looks like my "pristine, beautiful" Alfa 164 that I bought a few

weeks ago may need an engine rebuild.  The oil pressure is about 10 when
it
is at idle warmed up.  Has anybody had any experience with rebuilding the
164
engine?  I am mainly wondering how much it costs.  I'm hoping that I can
put
on a new oil pump, and that will help.  Any info would be appreciated.
Stephen"
 Stephen,

My prior car was a '91 164L that had the same problem. Before you rebuild
- - DON'T BELIEVE YOUR OIL PRESSURE GUAGE! Unless you have other
indications calling for a rebuild, check out the oil pressure sender. It
is between the heads in the "V" in the back of  the engine and has 1 wire
going to it. Take it out and for +/- $40 put a new one in - see if it
makes a difference (when you put it in, be sure that it is tight,
sometimes they are tricky unless you use a thin wrench). This worked for
my car and restored the guage to normal readings. Hope this helps.

Sid Trest
'86 Spider Veloce - Pandora