Electrics, water pump

Hi y'all:

Just got back in the fold with an '86 Spider Veloce after 14 Alfa-less yrs
since my '79 GTV.  basically it's a good car, low mileage but with a couple
of problems I'd appreciate guidance on.

1.  Electrics:  multiple issues - non-working instruments, non-charging
alternator (it's new, so I suspect some other issue) - and am chasing down
all the usual suspects, e.g. battery ground, engine ground strap, all fuses
(have already found some corroded) and relays, ground connections for all
lamps, etc.  Is there something common that I should be especially careful
to check?

2.  Water pump:  I thought this was something that only happened on old, old
cars, but the water pump pulley has a broken flange.  Obviously I need to
replace the whole pump (which was done only 13,000 miles ago, according to
the invoices I inherited), but I'm also told I need to pull the crankshaft
pulley to get the water pump off, and that this requires shop equipment such
as an air gun - which I don't have.  I have heard of an alternative that
involves a large socket, a breaker bar, a 2-by-4 to prevent body damage, and
cranking the engine to loosen the nut, but I'm  a little wary of this...
Any suggestions?  Fortunately the piece of pulley flange must have gone down
when it flew off, since there's no dent in the hood!

Glad to be back in the fold

Jon Inge