Sic transit gloria Monday (ainsi passe la gloire du monde) - no Alfa content

Jean Denis just kindly, gently, and quite correctly informed me that I have
been misspelling 'champagne', and indeed I have. I would have thought that a
spell-checker would have caught me, and it might have, but 'champaign' is
also in the dictionary with the same etymology and a different meaning, thus
(probably) in the spell-checker. I still should have known better were I
educated, but (for complicated reasons) I never went to high school and never
learned to spell until I was working on my dissertation, and not particularly
well then. Perhaps (excuses, excuses - -) my having spent my wasted youth in
Illinois, where the State University is in the city of Champaign, (so
spelled) had something to do with my, and the spell-checker's, lapse.

Chagrin,

John H.