weird idle

I am still trying to diagnose my idle problem.

I remove the Aux. Idle air valve and replaced it with a small section of
tubing that I am able to clamp off more easily.  With the tubing clamped
shut, the car dies.  If I leave the tube unclamped the car surges up and
down.

My question is:  What role does the Aux air valve play?  does it
continuously operate between open and closed? Or does it only open when
cold and then close completely when warm?

I am going to search for any air leaks in the system tomorrow.

Kelly M.
88 Spider (can't idle)