GTV6 TA: Pop goes the ....?????

Hey Folks,

    After not driving my 84 GTV-6 for over a month due to the excessive
heat here in the South (lack of AC
compressor makes black leather intolerable!) I hopped in this weekend
looking forward to a relatively
cool drive in the mountains.  Upon pushing on the cluch pedal, with the
engine off, I heard a small "ping"
from the TA.  I started the car but when trying to select a gear, all I
got was nasty grinding.  I still have
resistance in the pedal, and I got under the car while a friend operated
the clutch where it appears that the
slave cylinder is still working properly.  The end of the fork operated
on by the slave cylinder shows no
sign of looseness.
    So everything appears to be working, yet I cannot select a gear.
What has happened? Something wrong
with the pressure plate? (I hope not, $545 from IAP!!!!)  The only thing
I noticed was that after the "ping",
I still had resistance in the pedal, but something seemed to be missing
from its action. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mark Kingsbury
Gainesville, GA
- --
The "A" List:

Mine -- 84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6 Maratona (currently "resting")
~ROMAN RACING~ 82 Alfa Romeo Spider ITB (after small fire at RA track
day, also "resting")
Wife's -- 98.5 Audi A4 1.8T QMS (would've been a 156, only
Dog's -- 90 Acura Integra