From: bbain@domain.elided
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 11:28:26
Subject: Of "blue badges"  (long)

OK, I removed the "blue badge" from the rear of my '83 Spider, and
have subjected it to a "rigorous" analysis using the greatest
analytical tool of all time, the "Mark I eyeball." :-) Herein are my
Observations, Analysis and Conclusion, submitted for peer review in
the appropriate scientific tradition:

Observations:

1. The badge part number appears to be 2400-51020, it is marked
"RETI", and has a datewheel stamp that appears to be 2/83.  The Spider
that it came off of has a date plate of 4/83.  The subject vehicle has
never been farther north than North Carolina for any extended period.

2. The cross and the "infidel" in the serpent's mouth are light blue.
The color appears to match the light blue surrounding the serpent.  In
the "traditional" badge the cross and the "infidel" are red.

3. There are traces of red visible in the "cross" and the "infidel".
the underlying light blue paint has also faded in spots as well.
Underneath the "gold" plating surrounding the cross light blue paint
can be seen as well where the "gold" has deteriorated.  The badge
appears to be formed of a colored, perhaps painted, base with a clear
plastic cover sealed or glued over the base to provide a smooth
weather-resistant surface.  Immersion of the badge in water revealed
no leaks between the apparent layers.

4. The front badge on the same car carries the traditional colors.  I
have personally viewed a 1985 spider with a "blue" badge on the rear,
and a "red" badge in front, just like the subject vehicle.  Other
researchers have reported similar findings for a 1984 vehicle.

5. On the badge that I replaced on the front bumper of my 1981, the
red areas had partially faded to blue as well, but it was nowhere near
as complete as the 1983.  The 1981 has no other badge to compare the
front one with.

Analysis:

The traces of red found in the subject badge do not appear to
externally introduced after the badge's manufacture.  The fact that
the underlying blue paint has visibly faded suggests that the badge is
susceptible to environmental factors.  It is a well known fact that
pigments fade upon exposure to sunlight, and that rate of such fading
varies with the pigment color.  Reds, because they absorb all but red
wavelengths, absorb higher energy wavelengths (blues) and the greater
energy absorbed may lead to a faster degradation of the pigment than
blues, which reflect the higher energy "blue" wavelengths.
Ultraviolet, a known "fader" of pigments, is closer to the "blue" side
of the EMF spectrum than red, and would be preferentially absorbed by
red pigment over blue pigments.  Sunlight is a light source known to
be high in UV.  The subject badge has been exposed to the hot Southern
sun for its entire life.

The traces of red found within the badge in the appropriate areas
(cross and infidel) are indicators of the likely presence of red
pigment at one time.  Photos of new Spiders of the same year show
"red" badges.  Total Spider production for 1983 was about 4000 or so
cars, as was the production of 1984 and 1985 Spiders, respectively.
Thus, there had to have been a catastrophic failure of quality control
over several years to result in the placement of badges that were
"blue" when new. Such a scenario is simply unlikely since the badge in
question has a date of 2/83.  Alfa could have ordered 12000 badges in
1983, of which some or all were defectively colored, but it is equally
likely that the badges were ordered in commercially reasonable
production lots over the manufacturing period.  The importance of the
point is that multiple lots mean multiple inspections by the
manufacturer of the badge as well as Alfa inspections of received
parts.  The likelihood of such a gross error being perpetuated over
several years would thus be reduced. This point will require further
experimental observation of subject badges to confirm or refute the
existence of multiple lots of badges.

It is also my understanding that during the 1980's Alfa could not lay
off workers, and in fact paid them to stay home.  This sheds some
doubt upon another correspondent's theory that the placement of new
"blue" badges was a knowing act by a work force more concerned with
job security than quality control.

Conclusion:

The evidence from the single badge is not conclusive, but it does seem
to eliminate the possibility that *all* rear spoiler badges for MY
1983-1985 were "blue.", and the evidence further suggests that the
badge is susceptible to preferential fading in the presence of a
strong UV source (sunlight). The presence of red in the subject areas
leads to the conclusion that the areas may have contained red pigment
at one time, and that it simply deteriorated under UV bombardment.
As discussed, other evidence may well confirm that a massive breakdown
of quality control on Alfa's part and on the badge manufacturer's part
is unlikely as well.  A more likely conclusion, subject to additional
experimental observation, is that the badge was originally
traditionally colored, but simply faded.

I hereby submit this to my peers for their review and comment.

End of alfa-digest V7 #992