Buying New Alfas in the US

Dave Mericle's post about Fiat's attitude concerning Alfa's return to the US
reminded me of Water DiSilva's comments to the crowd at Concours Italiano
last year. When asked if Alfa would return to the US, he stated that the
market for new Alfas in the US had never been strong. He doubted that more
than a handful of the Alfisti in attendance had purchased their Alfas new.
He then asked for a show of hands from the crowd of those who had ever
purchased a new Alfa. Out of the large group, only a few raised their hands.
At this point DiSilva moved on.

There are many reasons we Alfa-lovers bought our cars, new or used. It is
hard to argue with the sad economic facts that drove new Alfa sales to
nearly nothing during the last years they were sold new in the States. I
bought two Alfas new in the early 90s. They represented a more personal,
exciting driving experience to me than the offerings of the other makers. I
recently drove a 3 liter, 24 valve 6 cylinder GTV in Japan. This is where
I'd put down my money. In a minute.

Rich Lasner
91 164S Black
92 164S Red