The loud switch

dug sedon is debating Michael Williams on the trenchant question "Now is it a
throttle or gas pedal?"

dunno, as dug sed, but in my dictionary 'throttle' and 'choke' have virtually
identical meanings; to throttle is to choke. 'Throttle' got to its automotive
use by way of the steam engine, where the throttle obstructs the flow of
steam from the boiler (normally at full chat) to the cylinder- "regolare la
pressione del vapore". The term Alfa uses in all of the owner's manuals I
have handy is "accelerator", conveniently opposite in meaning to "brake", and
as far as I can tell it is "acceleratore" in Italian.

John