164 "valve job"

> I have a 1991 alfa romeo 164l with around 30,000 miles on a new engine.
> (137k total) I have been told that the new engine will need to be "tuned" or
> have a "valve job" every so often and need to know when these intervals are.
>   In addition, the engine is making a ticking noise slightly faster than
> once per second at an idle, and have been told by the previous owner that a
> "valve job" would correct the tick.  And finally, approximatley how much
> should such job cost?

They should be calling this a valve clearance adjustment. It is a simple
process of checking the valve lifter clearances. Not a big deal.

Beware of an Alfa motor that doesn't sound a bit ticky... Mine sounds
like a sewing maching and people say it sounds strange, No, but
mechanical lifters do make some noise, (nice I think) It is in perfect
spec.

I was told that the lifter clearance is better too loose than too tight,
but a competent Alfa technician can verify your clearances for you.
Mileage intervals are a recommendation, and the best method is to have
the clearances checked when you religiously have the timing belt changed
at 30K intervals. Tales of running the T-belts over 30K are common but
shortsighted, as valves are costlier than a belt.

AlfaBill
'91 168
Tampa FL