Re: Responsibility for steppers

Charlie (Pottree@domain.elided_ had written:

>In a message dated 8/18/99 9:42:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
>
><<   i'm just wondering why the 'factory is perfect' crowd has
> never spoken up about the stepper motors... >>
>
>I bet the A/C design and components were outsourced and the factory
>had little to do with them other than assessing the cost.

Charlie: While I agree with your facts - yea, Alfa probably did sub-out
the A/C design - I disagree with your conclusion.  The name on the
back of the car is "Alfa Romeo", so dammit, THEY are responsible
for 100% of the vehicle.  If they chose an incompetent A/C designer,
or gave them a budget that resulted in an inadequate sub-system,
that's Alfa's fault.  Virtually all cars are made up of components
built by suppliers other than the "factory".  Bosch, ATE, and others
provide a significant portion of a modern Alfa; however, the
service, warranty, and reputation are that of Alfa and Alfa alone.

Of course, it is possible that the A/C design engineer was abused
as a child, and as such, the cheesy design isn't HIS responsibilty,
but the responsibility of society as a whole.

Jay