RE: dyno testing comments

Eric said: "One thing that keeps coming into my head is that its amazing that
the engine wasn't detonating like crazy at the "stock" setting if you backed
off 10 deg
and got more power."

I did have a little detonation when lugging the engine, but I attributed that
to having lower octane fuel that the engine was originally designed for. And,
I'd been running the higer advance numbers for several years without any
engine damage, so the detonation apparently wasn't harmful. Go figure.

Our dyno shop does have an air-fuel mixture monitor. That device, by the way,
said that my mixture was very slightly rich at all engine speeds. I was
frankly surprised to hear that, since I'd always heard that engines tuned for
'60s gasoline would run very rich with today's improved fuels.

Eric, you can be first in line on Dyno Day. Just send in your convention
entry as soon as you see the form published after next year's Portland
convention.

Bob McKeown