re: muffler choice

"I'm looking for a few good opinions on an old subject.  My stock rear muffler
is due for retirement, and I have a few options to consider.  A glass pack
with tail pipe for $80, ANSA for $125, and the STEBRO for $175.  "

Rick, I used to have a glass pack for my center muffler on my 90 Spider, first
with a stock rear muffler (sounded good) and then with the AR Ricambi dual
tipped muffler (sounded GReat, for a while).  After about one year the glass
pack starts to deteriorate, the fiberglass breaks down.  While it gets louder
and louder, which may sound good to some, it also starts to resonate more and
more, which became very annoying.  The AR Ricambi piece looked great when it
arrived, but some of the black paint is coming off and rust is forming on the
chrome and inside the tips where it was painted red (lasted one week).  I
replaced the center piece with a stock one (when I bought the car the center
piece was cracked, hence the glass pack experiment).   Now, the AR Ricambi
rear rubs against the chassis and vibrates.  Very annoying.  I have seen and
heard the Ansa sport rear muffler and like it.  I will buy this one when I get
really tired of hearing the AR Ricambi one vibrating on chassis.  I talked to
the Stebro people and like their stuff, but dont want to shell out the bucks.

Rob Murphy
90 Spider