Why ??

Kim,

You said ...

>> The Alfa spider is the perfect car for me (if I
could get the roof to stop leaking). Now if I could
just find a way to get the wife and two kids in the
car all at once life would be great. <<

What about a GTC ???

I happen to think that the Bertone body is so much
prettier than the Pinninfarina ...

But now, I guess it's my turn to fess up.

And in all honesty, (and like many others it seems) I
can't give a simple one line answer. There are so many
factors that go together with Alfa ownership.

To me it's like jazz: it's not for everyone. And
that's a good thing.

The elements: the look, the sounds, the smells ... the
cars do seem to have personality. Sometimes I've
driven my Alfas, and they've felt just like a
GenToyHonNissord.

But sometimes, you slip into the driver's seat, fire
her up, and she says "Let's go for a drive".

Too, I pride myself in not being one of "the mob" as
it were. I think I'm very much an individualistic
person, and for me to have something that just fits in
with the crowd doesn't even feel right for me.
Instead, I like to think that my cars are an extension
of my personality, and that they make a statement
about who I am.

And Alfas seem to do that immeasurably so.

What Alfas have I owned? My first was a 33, back in
85. Bought brand new, it self-immolated while my
(then-pregnant and then-) wife was driving. The car
was 6 weeks old, and totalled.

What to replace it with? we looked around, but there
was nothing at all on the Sydney market at that time
to compare with the 33 in terms of value for $$$,
performance, and fun quotient.

We looked at things like turbo riceburners and
Sweedish mobile chicanes, but nothing even came close.

So after the two 33s (is that a 66?) came a Sprint QV,
a 1750GTV, 75 TS, and then a move to the US saw me
with an Alfetta GT, an Alfetta Sports Sedan, a 74
spider, and a Milano.

Back in Oz (where the temperature this week - for all
you Dallas people experiencing 107 right now - has
been a very pleasant mid-winter 68) I have an Alfetta,
and we shall shortly begin restoration on the 69
1750GTV referred to above.

My favourite? Let's just say that I can't wait to
drive the GTV again!

My ex-wife always used to get out of that car grining
from ear to ear. So did I. I don't think that the
reason for this is a secret to too many of the people
on this digest.

g.                      79 Alfetta Sedan
Gary Stark              69 1750 GTV (resting)
gstark@domain.elided  99 Holden Barina (POS)
http://redbacksWeb.com
Back down under in Sydney, Oz.

===