re: air thru radiator

Jorge M asks (from AD #829, on 8/2) about getting more air through the engine
compartment, even around the radiator.

Air is the cooling part of the equation. You want enough of it to go thru the
radiator to keep things cool.   If too much goes around the radiator, it
really isn't doing its bit for cooling it down.

In terms of aerodynamics, I believe that the best place for air to go is
around the car.  Too bad we need some to combustion and cooling purposes, eh?
Car and Driver did a test with a Pinto many years back, in the height of the
fuel "crisis" here in the US of A.  I seem to remember that, among other
things, they blocked off most (like 3/4) of the opening to the grill, and
hence the radiator.  All of that air not going through the radiator found its
way over the car, not through it.  The editors did mention that it showed an
improvement in coefficient of drag, but I don't remember the numbers right
how.  Lost in the mists of time, not to mention the cobwebs of my memory.

Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal