alfa-digest V7 #936

Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided
>Data point: My '62 had the Lucas crap in it at first, too. I switched th=
>battery and had a Lucas generator happily putting out -ve ground before =
>replaced it all with Bosch. I had a Lucas regulator go bad and burn out =
>perfectly good generator. Bosch is the way to go.<

Perhaps the problems people have with Lucas components are due to age,
rather than faulty design. A lot of these units have a zillion miles on
them by
now, so failures should not be surprising. My experience with Lucas =

electrical components has been very good. We have owned twenty-some
British cars, most of which were used for daily transport. I have seen
nothing
in the designs that was inherently bad. Because of their simplicity, they=

have
been easy and relatively inexpensive to service or rebuild, after long =

periods of service.

Also, the British auto manufacturers were not the only ones to use
positive-
ground electrical systems. Ford used this polarity, and I don't think the=
changed until the fifties.

Paul Rollins
Vancouver, WA