alfa-digest V7 #944

Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided
>> Problem is in the varnishing - I seem to have a technique problem. =

Selected =

> semi gloss helmsman varnish.  Have sanded & steel wooled to a smooooth =

> surface. put the varnish on - spray or brush - I get many teeny tiney
bubbles =

> in the dried coat.  Have sanded & reapplied about 5 coats now, so I hav=
a =

> decent base of varnish.  If I can just get one smmoth, clear coat on
these =

> pieces, I am done, and can reassemble & install this dash !!    Any =

> suggestions on how to avoid these thangs?<

One of the tricks of finishers is to "tip off" the varnish. After you do
all the basic
things right with the brushable stuff (no shaking the can, etc.,) to keep=

bubbles out
of the finish, you will have bubbles anyhow. Take a dry brush, hold it =

perpendicular to the surface, then sweep it across (at 90 degrees to the
direction
of the brush strokes) the wet varnish, barely touching it. The bristles
tend to break =

the bubbles at the surface.

This has worked for me many times.

Paul Rollins