Re: Slight ticking noise from clutch

If you had to adjust the clutch because there was no free play and it
was slipping, then you may have worn out the throwout bearing. The
ticking noise could be the balls in the throwout bearing rattling
around. This sounds like the early stage of throwout bearing failure
where it rattles under no load, but gets quiet when you step on the
clutch. Since this car has the mechanical linkage, you should also just
check all the linkage to be sure. There is also supposed to be a spring
to pull the end of the throwout fork forward, the opposite direction
the linkage pulls it. If the spring is gone, it might just be the
linkage bouncing around.

If you're brave, you'll start the car up and slide under it to listen.
Try the old plastic hose in the ear trick.

Robert Watson wrote:

>Can anyone help me with advice about what might be going on that I have a
>slight ticking noise coming from the clutch on my 67 GTV?
>
>The noise goes away when the clutch peddle is depressed. It is there when
>the car is at driving speed and stopped (but it does not get loader and
>is very hard to hear).
>
>The noise seemed to start after I adjusted the linkage to give more "free
>play" in the petal. I adjusted the "free play" because I felt the clutch
>slip slightly in 4 gear upon acceleration.
>
>... The fly wheel, clutch and transmission were recently (within 5000 miles)
>inspected as they were out of the car for a motor rebuild. Everything look
>ok at that time.

A throwout bearing is awfully cheap to replace when everything is already out
of the car. It's a major nuisance to have to replace only that. Next time,
keep your free play properly adjusted.