VIN Tag

Just returned from the body shop where the final (fingers crossed)
details are being sorted out on my 1969 GTV.  It appears that the
VIN/Date of Manufacture tag that adheres to the doorjamb is either
destroyed or lost.  Two questions.  First, what material was this
identification tag made from?  Metal or Plastic?  Second, now that itis
gone, I need to replace it.  Can anyone tell me how to either request a
new one (with correct VIN and date) from Alfa Romeo or where I can
secure a new one....?  Help - my car feels naked without it.  Okay, not
really, but it spoils the effect of having a car that looks like new
missing something as vital.  All ideas apprciated.

John Wright
San Francisco
1969 GTV
1989 Milano America