re: Sorry for the non alfa content (but there *is* alfa content!)

hi mike, ewe said, among other things:
>Our beloved Alfas comply with Safety and emission regs in crowded little
>Europe, but those regs aren't good enough for the US with the lighter
>traffic and slower (much slower) speeds etc. And modern cars since about
>1980 don't pollute much as long as they are maintained correctly! Sorry
>about the rant but much as I like the US I do wish they would cut out the
>double speak on international trade and do as they say others should do.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
i know that *some* alfas *do* comply w/usa safety/emissions regs, & they're
*still* not imported here.  fact is, fiat can't be bothered w/a market that
views, for the most part, cars as appliances.  they *can* bother w/lo-wolume
specialty cars that go for $100k & up - that's why we still get ferrari, and
will soon see masarati.  until alfas are as uninteresting as toyota camrys, they
won't be awailable here.  when they *are* awailable here, everyone but folks
like *us*, will like 'em!  how's that for irony!  as far as i'm concerned, the
only thing that separates a 164 from the rest of automotive appliance-dom is the
engine.  the rest of the car has already made the leap to conformity, imho:  fwd
on an alfa?!?  and look at the lines on the rear flanks - it wood've been wery
easy to upturn the line past the rear door, yust like on the milano, to give it
a distinctive appearance.  but no-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o...  won't appeal to the
masses.  can't blame 'em, really - they wanna make money...

as far as cutting out double-speak on political issues - c'mon, who ya
kidding?!?  the usa has politicians, yust like every other western country!!!
also, there's citizens, yust like every other western country - no double-speak
- - no get elected!!!

ciao for now,

doug "oh well" s.