Re: U.S. rules

In a message dated 8/3/99 22:15:03 EST, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 US markets may be relatively open, but that doesn't mean they aren't
 protected.  If it was an open market, you would be able to import and run
 new  Alfa (or Lotus or whatever).  You cannot do this legally because the
 market is not open.>>

No, you cannot do this because certain standards apply for the design of
products due to legislation and social policy. Perhaps you would advocate the
selling of apricot pits as a cancer cure, so we can enjoy an "open market."

When the rules were written for low emissions, crashworthiness, air bags,
etc., I can guarantee no U.S. legislator or trade wonk wrung his hands saying
"Ah Hah! That should fix the threat of the Lotus 7!!"  We do have standards
for cars, and so do others. Before the EC, there were so many regulations in
individual European countries, it drove the manufacturers nuts. Now, no more
yellow headlights in France. But guess what? They complied. If I follow your
logic, when the Big Three struggled to make decent engines that would pass
new emissions regs in the 70s, a case could be made that the U.S. government
was trying to restrict the sale of domestic cars, since the Japanese had no
problem meeting those same regs.

  << The US government is also totally ruthless when it
 comes to trade sanctions against overseas industries when US pressure
 groups get their way.  At present, the Scottish angora wool (cottage)
 industry is being killed because US banana traders don't like EC policy.
 The US government has just imposed sanctions on Australian lamb imports, an
 area where there is no significant domestic production.  A few years ago
 the Japanese were forced to import large numbers of (unsaleable) American
 cars in order to avoid sanctions. >>

In light of twenty years of massive trade deficits, your complaint rings
hollow. We are not  ruthless enough, in my book. It is normal for nations to
retaliate on one commodity when they judge another one to be unfairly dumped
or priced lower here than they are in their country of manufacture or
production. This has nothing to do with FIAT, s.p.a., pulling out. As far as
the Japanese are concerned, no amount of ramming our products down their
throats will ever make up for decades of the most picayune, asinine, cleverly
written regulations specifically designed to protect their manufacturing,
banking and retail operations. Even their distribution systems are a closed
shop. We finally have the means to bust this system up.

 <>

Again, if what you were saying is true, Maserati would not be coming back
next year, Aston Martin would not be here, nor Ferrari. It may be expensive
to homologate a car to U.S. standards in some respects, but European and
American regulations are merging, and this is pin money compared to the
opportunity of selling in the world's largest and richest automotive market.
In the final year of Alfa's availability, the Ferrari 348 outsold the 164LS.
They tried, they failed, and that's a good enough reason to split. BTW, I
predict Maserati will also fail. If you want to send that twin turbo pelican
up against the XK8, lots of luck.

 <<They build cars which don't appeal to most American buyers.  Which
 particular class of buyers should they design their products to appeal to?
 Hyundai Excel, Honda Accord or F100?  IMO they left the US market because
 they couldn't make enough profit on their sale volumes to justify the
 risks.>>

Precisely. Because they were building cars that didn't appeal to U.S. buyers!
BMW, Mercedes, Audi and a host of others are building sport sedans and
convertibles that are selling like hot cakes, and (gasp!) even have resale
value. They even have built factories here. Some closed market! By your
logic, since we have not adopted European standards by diktat, we are being
protectionist.

<<  But they can make useful profits in other low volume markets (e.g.
 Australia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, most of the rest of the

No doubt, because the EC regulations on safety and emissions probably exceed
that of the nations you mentioned, indeed, if they have any standards at all.
 And I can guarantee that genuinely high tariff charges apply to most of the
countries you mentioned, even without their having a domestic industry.

You may not like the regulations or the results, but to claim this is an
instrument of import control on this particular commodity, positing a
sinister cabal to protect the Ford Motor Company from Alfa Romeo, Lotus and
Skoda, is patently ridiculous.