Re New Car 164 Questions

<<
 Aftermarket exhaust has a _very_ loud resonance between 3K and 3.5Krpm.
 Thereafter it gets quiet >>

Not sure about this my TS has a Supersprint exhaust with a slight boom at
about 3k, but so did the original system.

<<Major problem:  The air flow sensor (MAF?) is sticky.  Occasionally
when starting from cold (like today), it will make the engine run very
lean, and die, unless you keep revving it.  Very embarrassing, when at
the lights, the engine kept dying as I was turning.
- - could it be the idle control valve?   Problems with the air flow sensor
seemed to be more    of hesitation,  rather than engine dying.)>>

Sounds like the idle control valve or the cold start system.

<<(the owner claimed that the air flow sensor is the same as the 3.0L
  version.  True?)>>
As far as I can tell, the 3L has a different AFM.

<<Throttle is sticky.  May need cable lube and/or change.>>
I needed to change mine at 140,000 miles, and I do not recall this being
mentioned to often on the digest.  I don't think it was expensive to do
(don't quote me though).

<<Planning to return to look at the service records, check dipstick and
plugs>>
If the service records do not show a car with a full history (unless the
owner did the work himself) - walk away (IMHO).  There are always alfas that
do have the full history.

Steve
164 TS
Cumbria UK