Museo Alfa Romeo

<<<<<<<<
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 22:49:23 -0400
From: Robert Godbey <RGodbey@domain.elided>
Subject: Visiting Milan

I'm traveling to Italy at the end of August and will make it to Milan by
Monday, September 6 for two days. I'm planning to visit the factory museu=
m.
Does anyone have any advice or stories about the museum or Milan. Anythin=
from places to eat, to the best times to go to the museum would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
- - -->Rob

'71 GTV 2000
'89 Milano Verde >>>>>>

Hi Robert,

last year I visited tha Alfa Romeo museum in Arese and contrary to what I was
told, you do NOT have to make an appointment. I'm not sure what times it is
open, as we got horribly lost ( easy to do ANYWHERE in Italy ) and took
hours to find the museum  and got there around 2 or 3pm. locals in Arese did
not
even know Alfa had  a museum there !  We even drove along via Alfa Romeo !
Actually the museum is very easy to find. It is less than a half mile from
the
ARESE exit of the Autostrada. Just look for a FIAT sign.
I believe it is open late morning till "siesta" time, then open again till
5pm (as I recall).  If you  would like actual hours,  museum's phone # or
other info,
e-mail me off line and I'll  look it up and get back to you.

eventually, in desperation,  I turned into a driveway with a  FIAT sign,
where a guard
confirmed that Museo Alfa Romeo was indeed there, buried deep - past
several parking lots and buildings.

The guard will let you in after you advise him of your incredibly important
mission.

Drive until you see another guard house leading into a "quadrangle"
surrounded by several Alfa buildings. Park and enter the guard house. If I
remember correctly, you sign in and exchange your drivers licence for a guest
pass, which clips onto your shirt, etc.

you walk directly across the "quadrangle" and enter a building, walk thru it,
up/down steps across another "quadrangle" or parking lot thru another
building
( you will eventually figure out the way ) and  viola ! you will recognise
the Museum building.

cross the last parking lot, enter and enjoy. When I was there, it poured and
had the museum to myself, my wife and eventually 2 maybe 3 other visitors. So
quiet it was erie !  Of course there was the traditional Alfa "leak" .( It
was rainwater leaking thru the roof, being collected in buckets, around the
ALFA 159 ).

As far as food goes, we never had a bad meal - anywhere in Italy - possibly
because all meals were accompanied by a bottle of local vino !

HOWARD JACOBS

1984 Maratona - 12,000miles
1995 911  Cab- 6,600m
1977 Mercedes 450SEL 6.9 (95 mph in 2nd)
1972 Impala big block -12,000m
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Aaaaaargh !!!