Re: Spica Fuel Supply Pump

>From: Robert_A_Brady@domain.elided (Robert A Brady)

>Both AR Ricambi and IAP sell replacement pumps that appear to be like for
>like.  Centerline advertises that using the L-Jetronic Bosch pump also works,
>with "minor modifications."

>Has anyone recently replaced their fuel supply pump for the SPICA car?  If
>so, what did you do, where did you get it, how much did it cost?

I haven't done it recently (just looked it up in my maintenance log and it's
been almost 10 years!) but at the time it cost $150 from Ricambi so I'd
expect it to be about $250 today. The "minor modifications" involve the
pump mount and routing the hoses since the Bosch connectors point in different
directions than the SPICA. This sounds like a major deal, but it's not too
hard. Also, you have to replace the exit orifice in the FI pump which controls
the pressure on the inlet side of the plungers. It lives under the forward
hose connector on the FI pump. The Bosch pump has a much lower flow rate
than the SPICA fuel pump so you've got to reduce the orifice size to keep
the pressure up where it needs to be. You can make one yourself from a metal
blank with a fairly precision hole in it. I don't recall the size, but it's
pretty small (on the order of .050" or so).

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |    "If this rocket stuff is so important    |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |    to you, so be it. Just be careful and    |
| Livermore, CA		      |    don't blow yourself up. I suppose there  |
| jack@domain.elided   |    are worse hobbies!"                      |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |            - John Hickam, October Sky       |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |