Re: dual single-circuit vs. single dual-circuit

>From JHertzman@domain.elided

>In AD7-916 Jack Hagerty, correcting Scott Fisher, writes "Actually, Scott, in
>'71 Alfa may have still had the dual single-circuit master cylinders. I don't
>remember exactly when they got rid of that abortion, but it had two master
>cylinders, each with its own little vacuum booster.  It may have been gone by
>'71. I know it was still around in '70."

I don't know if "correcting" is the the right verb. I'd like to think I
was "enlightening" him :-)  I wanted to point out that Alfa didn't go
directly from single circut master to dual circuit master directly, but
had this weird stop gap solution. Apparently, I didn't do a very good job
of it, having missed the crossover from "dual single master" to "single
dual master" by a year.

>Fusi says "The 1969 Turin Motor Show saw the presentation of the 1750 Saloon
>with the following main innovations for 1970: dual circuit brakes, pendant
>brake and clutch pedals, a new air filter, Q.I. lights, totally disappearing
>wipers and a new hollow steering wheel."...None of these show the totally
>disappearing wipers, so if Jack is perhaps wrong occasionally he is still
>in good company -

Thanks, I think.

>Logically the dual boosters do go with the floor-mount pedals and the single
>dual circuit master with the pendant pedals, so one can tell the circuitry
>without popping the hood.

Right. IIRC, the "dual single masters" was Alfa's response to the dual braking
circuit requirement using the existing floor pedal to actuate the slave/masters
up in the engine compartment. I never looked at it that closely and thought
it was pretty silly, but it did the job until they could get the "real"
dual master online.

- - Jack