New car suggestions - thanks!

Thank you for all the suggestions.  All have been helpful and have given
some reinforcement to current ideas (including those I left out for
brevity), as well as pointers to new cars for consideration.

I like Chris Shepley's suggestion of the Audi RS2 as a respectable family
car, but I'm not respectable enough for the car :-)  (scruffy old curmudgeon)

While I would prefer an Italian car (instinct sez 164), a new possibility
has popped up on the screen.  This weekend I'm going to take a look at 2
1993/1994 Saab 9000 CS, in addition to 2 164s.  That is, if they're not
gone by then.  I still have until Mar next year, so am taking it easy
(which may be a mistake).

Since (as pointed out) the 9000 and the 164 share a common floorpan,
size-wise it's like the 164 with folding rear seats.  I expect performance
and handling to be different though.

I'm still open to views, experiences/war stories, and suggestions.  Saab
lovers & haters :-) can contact me directly to save bandwidth.

Cheers
Lawrence