86 to 71 spider exhaust conversion question?

Hello all,

I need information regarding the installation of a two piece exhaust manifold
on my 86 spider.  I bought a used 71 with down pipes cut just after the Y
junction.  This is a highly suggested replacement by many.  However, my
mechanic's concern is where to make the first cut before the catalytic
converter.  Is the oval / flat intake to the cat just a heat shield around
standard round pipe?  Is a special fabrication needed for the marriage of the
71 round down pipe junction to oval 86 cat intake?

Thanks for any advice!

Rick
Eugene,  OR
86 Veloce Spider