Re: Milano sunroof

FWIW, an update on my sunroof:
Symptoms: sunroof stuck open, actuating switch gave clunk in overhead
(presumably from motor), and no motion of sunroof - either open or close.
Based on Adam Doherty's experience & cyber assessment, it was a good bet that
the motor had overshot it's limit switch stops.  This means taking the motor
out, opening it & "adjusting" the stops.  Got part way through & realized i
needed more info.
Went to visit Brian Shorey (bs to his friends) who has a disassembeled
headliner/sunroof etc, etc. for inspection & experimentation (hell, Brian has
a disassembled almost everything that Alfa built since 1971) - good thing I
did.
Turns out the motor was bad - when pulled out, and actuated, it would shut
itself off in the close mode, but continue to run in the open mode!  we
couldn't figure out what was required to reset those stops, so...we took the
cowards (I mean expeditious) way out & swapped in the "spare", lubed the
track, and now "tutto va bene".
This is actually a cool design.  The whole actuating mechanism is hidden,
covered in the roof, and the motor's drive gear goes up into a hole in the
roof.  The motor assembly (includes motor & "transmission") has a plastic
cover that is held onto the motor ass'y by a couple of screws - removing that
exposes a molded piece that resembels a number of "stacked" plastic wheels of
decreasing diameter.  They have raised plastic "pointers" molded into them -
these are the limit switch cams.  Couldn't move this thing by hand, couldn't
figure out which way was the right way to move them to correct my predicament
- - ran away.  If anyone can shed some light on how to make this better, I'd
appreciate it.
A few pointers - all you need to do to remove the motor is to pry down the
cover from the overhead.  It has a few tabs that go up & over the forward
lip of the main console plastic housing & a snap fit on the trailing edge.
The motor is held in by 2 phillips screws on the rear edge, and the forward
end has a slot that slides onto a threaded post, and nut fastens it securely.
 Can't really get at the phillips, they are covered by the rear section of
the main overhead console.  Just loosened the console enough to pry it down
enough to get at the screws.  DO NOT TRY TO PULL OUT THE WHOLE MAIN CONSOLE.
It is fastened securely to the headliner by 2 posts (one on each side, about
2/3 of the way forward) that are secured to the headliner by C clips - if you
pull too hard, the posts snap right off, and now you have a real problem!!
It all went pretty well, and pretty quickly thanks to help from digesti.
Mille grazie.
Andy