Re: Honing 2.5l Liners (looking for a torque plate)

>In a message dated 7/28/99 12:49:56 AM Central Daylight Time, madmac@domain.elided
>writes:
>
><< Our goal has been to reuse the pistons and have the liners honed in order
> save the $600+ dollars for replacements (ouch!).  The machinists I have
>spoken
> to are not set up for honing the liners OUT of THE BLOCK...AND... there is
> some question if the liners would stay in place in the block during the
>honing
> process without being locked down with a torque plate.  My machinist thinks
> holding them in place with washers would distort the liners and result in an
> inaccurate hone... I really can't see it being a problem, but I'm no
>machinist.
>
> I am I out of my mind for trying this?  Has anyone been down this twisted
>road before?
>
> If anyone out there has experience with having their V6 liners honed I would
> REALLY appreciate some advice.  AND I really could use some leads on a torque
> plate for an 2.5l V6.

If you want a torque plate--talk to Youther's, who are located  in the Los
Angeles area. They can make torque plates for anything using a used head
gasket as a pattern.

If you want to bore/hone the sleeves out of the block--find a machine shop
with the tooling jigs for boring/honing motorcycle jugs (out of the
crankcase).

I believe that the torque plate route would be more accurate--but the
sleeves should be kept in the holes in which they were bored.

Regards, Greg