Re: Honing 2.5l Liners (looking for a torque plate)

In a message dated 7/28/99 12:49:56 AM Central Daylight Time, madmac@domain.elided
writes:

<< Our goal has been to reuse the pistons and have the liners honed in order
 save the $600+ dollars for replacements (ouch!).  The machinists I have
spoken
 to are not set up for honing the liners OUT of THE BLOCK...AND... there is
 some question if the liners would stay in place in the block during the
honing
 process without being locked down with a torque plate.  My machinist thinks
 holding them in place with washers would distort the liners and result in an
 inaccurate hone... I really can't see it being a problem, but I'm no
machinist.

 I am I out of my mind for trying this?  Has anyone been down this twisted
road before?

 If anyone out there has experience with having their V6 liners honed I would
 REALLY appreciate some advice.  AND I really could use some leads on a torque
 plate for an 2.5l V6.

If you are only honing for surface finish, which if you are not replacing the
pistons you should be, you can easily do it yourself. For surface finish
honing bore distortion is not a problem. NAPA, most Snap-On dealers and many
mail order auto supply companies carry a product called Flex-Hone
(http://brushresearch.com/fh2.htm). A few seconds with these and you have a
perfectly honed liner. When I was working at Fel-Pro, an automotive gasket
manufacturer, in the 80s we used these to recondition our long term test
engines. If my memory serves me correctly, they were recommended to Fel-Pro
by Oldsmobile.

John Katos
Many Alfas
87 Audi 5000cs Turbo Quattro