Re: alfa-digest V7 #912

In alfa-digest V7 #912, Charlie wrote:

>I've recently returned from a visit in Italy, and found:
>
>Nearly everyone speaks English, and most speak well, at least by American
>standards (e.g., enough to get by on the basic 2200 words)...
>
>There is some kind of tax reason why older cars are not economic there...
>
>In the center of major cities it is difficult or impossible to keep and use
>car, but in other areas people operate and maintain private cars, even wash
>them, and there are services such as body shops...
>
>There is a lot of interest in collector and historic cars, especially in
the
>northern, car-producing areas around Torino, Milano, Brescia, and Modena;
the
>Mille Miglia seems to be a national holiday.
>
>The only people who drive "like maniacs" as Italian drivers are unfairly
>described, seem to prefer black large-size and new Mercedes Benz.

I agree completely that in the North, interest in classic cars is high.
Having attended a Mille Miglia, and seen the casual way that priceless autos
are left unattended in side streets, you begin to understand the depth of
respect for these wonderful machines.

What I think Jorge was getting at was the 'man in the street' enthusiast,
who keeps his or her Alfa on the basis of simple pleasure of ownership and
the driving experience, not the fact that it is rare (although it may be),
exotic or valuable. Another fact is that Alfa's have always been intriguing
technically, and you need a certain mind set to appreciate that. Being
brought up on British OHV in-line fours, with SU carbs and plain
differentials, getting my hands on a flat four with belt driven cams and
twin choke carbs, or a twin cam with a five speed box, was a revelation.

As to the driving style, have you ever taken a coach ride along a corniche
road in the South, with a driver called Enzo? At every church, Enzo would
cross himself, before returning to the horn button and gesticulation
exercises. Quite unnerving. The other thing I have seen is persistent
nudging of other cars to get into/out of a parking space, regardless of the
damage done to either car.

I have watched the planes taxing at Naples airport, and the Alitalia ones
appear to be driven by Enzo's cousins.

Cordiale Saluti,

Ian