Re: alfa-digest V7 #907

In a message dated 7/26/99 12:51:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Can someone tell me a bit more about this S-Type.  It has been pretty
 heavily advertised over here, but the pictures consistently show ONLY
 the front end.  Which is attractive, and certainly evocative of the Mark II.
 But, the complete lack of shots that even show a side profile - let alone
 the back end - led me to wonder if the thing looks like a Rambler
 from the rear.  Can anyone confirm what its butt looks like - the
 old Mark II? a Taurus? or, a Rambler?

 Also, can anyone in the States comment on whether the S-Type is
 in the  showrooms yet?  I'm in the midwest, and new, premium cars
 take a  bit longer to make it onto the streets here  than they do on
 the more civilized coasts.

 Philosophical question: Would this model exist if Jaguar had not
 been acquired by Ford?

 Jay Mackro

They are running around here in LA, of course, in small numbers.  The
roadsters are seen frequently; I believe they are an au courant, chi-chi gift
given to producers by studios, and a bargain compared to the standard
Mercedes roadsters.

In Italy, I was visiting a classic older car emporium in company of several
Alfa and Ferrari friends (hardship duty) outside of Brescia when all of a
sudden a terrible noise from the Jaguar dealership across the street.  Yep,
one of the new sedans was coming out, sounding like a John Deer lawnmower.

Moral: there is more to life than a pretty face.

And no, Jaguar would be DOA if not rescued by the deep pockets of Ford, flush
with money from SUVs.

Charlie
Los Angeles, CA, USA