RE: Alfa SUV's, Am I still an Alfista?........

Ian Preece wrote:
"The success of the 156 and GTV/Spyder has had a curious effect on me.
Suddenly, Alfa's are being bought by people who potentially know nothing
about their pedigree, apart from the fact that a cute little red one was in
the Graduate film, and that they used to rust a lot. It's hard to put into
words, but after all the years I have supported and followed the cross and
serpent, and taken a lot of knocks into the bargain, I sort of resent the
fact that when a genuinely good Alfa comes along, people queue up to buy it
who would not have bothered about Alfa's before.I guess I should be pleased
that the company are successful again, but it just makes me feel uneasy,
kind of takes the love/hate thing away."
***********
As we move into the Y2K, it is clear to me that if we are going to see more
Alfas on the street, it will be because they appeal to a lot of people, or
else they wont sell.  An we Alfisti are NOT a lot of people.  We like cars
that are distinct, personal, unique.  With today's market forces, Alfas
cannot sell if they are made to our Alfisti's taste.  I don't think there is
enough of us.  And if there was (were?), then the cars wouldn't be that
unique anymore.  Unless we can afford McLarens and Ferraris to be unique, we
may just have to be pleased with old, near extinct cars.  I don't know how I
would feel if I went to work, and the parking lot was full of 164's and
Milanos.  Or if there were 6 or 7 Alfas on my block, and none of their
owners knew what kind of oil they should use.  Where does that leave my
unique Verde?

Something funny if not ugly happens when I visit Italy (I swear this is the
only ugly thing):  I see a lot of Alfas, yes, but very few are really
exciting.  Taxi cabs like 33's and 75's, old, very old Suds
and an occasional Alfetta, in the sorest state, and lots of blue Polizia and
Carabinieri 75's and 155's now.  You don't see very many "unique" Alfas.
They are just common, commuting cars.  The exception being the 164's and the
new crop of 156 and Spider/GTV of which I saw only 3 in 2 weeks in 98.
Very strange feeling.  I would like to hear from digesters in Italy.  Are
you guys tuned in?  Is Alfa a true cult there?  Or must it cross the borders
to become one?
Enough said.

Jorge in California
89 Milano Verde (never driven by the Carabinieri)
(this is my 6th Alfa)
Home page: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/2035/index.html