overheating GTV-6

Thanks to those who replied with some suggestions. I already have a 13 lb.
cap on the system, the pump replaced, radiator raughted out, hoses
good, and the thermostat is fine.
Although I only have 1 out of the 2 fans working, it still boils over
horrendesouly; even today just going to the grocery store and back! No
terrible stop and go traffic, even! My Alfa mechanic says it "just
happens" and that the car "has had some gremlins in it." Now, just to the
store and back? I think it's a little absurd!
In addition, when the car really overheats, it bucks and hesitates
terribly, and has even stalled a few times. Could this be due to some sort
of vapor lock problem? If so, how does it relate to the overheating?
I had the belt to the A/C cut and the pulley removed, so as to alleviate
some of the strain on the motor, but could that have done something, too?
I know a lot of people have been having trouble w/ overheating v-6s, but
raughting out has seemed to help. I think this may be a problem of a
different sort. Any help would be appreciated ASAP as I am traveling from
Denver to Chicago in a few weeks, and don't feel like paying for a tow in
the middle of Nebraska (no offense intended, Husker fans).
Thanks,

Jay Ogorzalek
'83 GTV-6
Boulder, CO