Re clunk in 164 front-end

>From: "Sedon, Doug (OD/ORS)" <sedond@domain.elided>

>as long as i'm in the general vicinity w/my leaky steering rack/hose, i
figger
>it's a good time to address the clunk in the passenger-side (right-side
for all
>ewe brits, etc) front end.  the clunk happens whenever starting from a
standing
>stop (or from walking-speed coasting).  no other symptoms, really.  bushings?
>engine mount?  a few suggestions may be helpful about what this is, before
>diving in...

Doug,
I have the same type of noise and in my case it turned out to be the lower
ball joint wear.
The boot had cracked, let water in etc.
Before I put a new joint in, I tapped a 1/4-28 hole on the bottom of the
joint and fitted a grease nipple. Filling the joint with grease, till it
came out of the cracked boot , stopped the noise.
The play in the joint remains but you can keep things going a long time if
you grease them.
Bruce