GTV-6 A/C

I need some help with diagnosis on an air conditioning problem with my 1986
GTV-6 (TropAire) that I haven't seen discussed specifically on previous
appearances of this thread on the digest.  I'm familiar with how the
TropAire is supposed to kick in when the uppper slider/lever is shoved all
the way to the left, pressing against the little switch that starts the
second condenser.  It doesn't work, but that's not the main problem.  The
previous owner had the freon replaced with a product called Freeze-12,
which reportedly doesn't require replacing any  fittings, as does R-134.
The fan worked fine, lots of air came out of the center vents, it just
wasn't cold air.  I had the system checked for leaks at a well-respected
Alfa shop and sealed.  They replaced the Freeze-12 with freon.  The problem
remains; the air coming out of the vents is STILL room temperature.
Obviously, there's another problem.  Can anyone offer any advice about what
component(s) might be the culprit, so that when I go to a real air
conditioning shop I can perhaps minimize how much open-mouth staring time I
end up paying for?  Also, has anyone around Los Angeles had a satisfactory
personal experience with a local A/C shop, such as Sullivan's or AirDoc Plus?

Charlie Koster
1986 GTV-6
Kagel Canyon, CA