Re: fun in Europe with Alfa 156

In a message dated 7/21/99 4:15:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< PS
 Anybody heard of any new events in Southern France or
 Italy for July 24 to August 6? I could not find
 anything interesting in the euro magazines...

 Luke Kowalski-

Dear Luke,

I don't know whats happening in S. France or Italy, but I  know how to make
it more FUN.  I recently went to Switzerland and rented an Alfa 156  2.0  Twin
spark  from Hertz  at  the Zurich airport !!!   Cheap too. Under $500 for 11
days
including taxes etc.  ( Insurance covered by our credit card )

We booked with Hertz in USA who confirmed a BMW 318 or Audi A4. To our
surprise upon arrival at Zurich airport Hertz announced that they were all
out,
but had PLENTY of ALFA 156's.  No problem I assured them. 1200 km later
I still could not believe my luck, nor wipe the smile off my face. Had I
requested an Alfa - who knows what I would have got. Last year, in Italy, I
also requested - and received - an Alfa 156 1.8 Twin Spark.

What a car !!!  Quiet (almost too quiet), smooth, comfortable, fast,
incredibly smooth 5 speed transmission which almost changed gears by itself
!,  the BEST BRAKES  I  have ever experienced on an Alfa, excellent fuel
mileage ( I thought the fuel gauge was broken - it barely went down ) 600 km
on 3/4 tank on mostly mountain roads.
160 kph at 4,650 rpm ( red line at 7,000 ). Unfortunately I could not really
go
faster as most  motorways were not "straight enough" for me, although last
year
in the 1.8 in Italy, I cruised happily at 200 kph when road conditions
allowed - and was still passed by BMW's and Mercedes !

In case you haven't noticed - I want one !!!!!   Bad !!   Oh well, I'll just
have to
go to Eurpoe each year to drive one.  The 6 cylinder 156's must be just
awesome.

As far as your trip, we found something of interest at each place we went, I'm
sure you will too. eg. St. Moritz had an English Car Show, several towns had
Jazz Festivals ( Art Garfunkel was the headliner at one )  and Gstaad had the

Swiss Tennis Open .

Have "Alfa" fun,

Howard Jacobs

1984 Maratona (12,000 miles)