RE: Header experience

Zacharey Cox asks, "What about the ceramic tape theory on the header?
(not trying to start WWIII!)"

I think you're confusing two treatments -- ceramic coating, such as Jet
Hot, and fiberglass tape.

A friend of mine swears by the Jet Hot coatings and has them on several
of his cars.  Their theory is that by retaining heat inside the exhaust
system, the system flows better.  Hot gases do flow better than cold,
but I have no access to before-and-after testing that shows an
anticipated power benefit.  The other key benefit is that Jet Hot
coatings (if you get them done inside and out) pretty well eliminate
rusting through.  And of course they look way cool -- was it this list
where someone referred to the BHP factor for "bystander horse power"?

Fiberglass tape, now, I have direct experience with; we wrapped the
header tubes on my EP MGB race car with the stuff.  The primary
advantage to fiberglass tape is that if you're wrenching on something
down near the header and your hand brushes against it, you think "hmmm,
that's a little warm" instead of shrieking and leaving part of your skin
sizzling against the header tube.

I don't think we got enough oomph out of that motor (at least not till
we mounted it imn my roadgoing M.G. and fixed the head and ignition) to
really determine whether the fiberglass tape made a difference in
performance, but I was grateful for the skin protection more than once.

- --Scott Fisher