re:headers

Ricky asks:

>Has anyone found
>lower
>exhaust clearance since installing a header unit?

I have installed the Shankle header on my 74 Spider.
It does significantly reduce the clearance. So much
so, that it is now slightly bent.
In addition, there was a recent post on the digest
that stated that there was virtually no performance
gain for such a unit as tested on a 74 115 Series car.
If any, most of the benefit is usually realized at the
higher rpms, and torque is sacrificed at the bottom
end.
I am retrofitting mine with the original exhaust
manifold and center resonator. It means a better and a
more driveable car for the street.
Wanna buy my header? Cheap.
What a lot of people do is to fit a 74 exhaust to
later cars, but that is only possibly when they do not
have to worry about smog, or have a lot of manifold
gaskets sitting on your shelf and time to swap out the
plumbing.

thx
luke, San Mateo, CA
74 Spider, 82 GTV6, 95 164 LS, 99 A6 Q

PS
Anybody heard of any new events in Southern France or
Italy for July 24 to August 6? I could not find
anything interesting in the euro magazines...

===
Luke Kowalski-(Interface, Visual, and Usability Engineering)