		Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:05:13 EDT
		From: JHertzman@domain.elided
		Subject: Still more hot air

		On the general question whether Alfas would benefit from
breathing air which
		had not been preheated by the radiator, I believe the last
multi-carb Alfa
		engine which breathed the general underhood atmosphere was
the 6C 2500 SS
		which went out of production in 1951. The base single-carb
1900 and the
		single-carb Giulietta used the underhood air, but I believe
that the 1900 TI,
		Giulietta Veloce, 2600 Sprint and Spider, the single-carb
105 Giulia, and all
		of the twin-carburetor (or injected) variants of the
1600-1750-2000 engines
		had either ducted air or an air-cleaner "snorkel" drawing
from a suitable
		hole off to the side of the radiator bulkhead, as do all of
the V-6s. I
		believe this is the case with all of the boxer engines also,
although I have
		no personal experience with them.

		Graham comes back to the question of how great is the power
increase
		attributable to cool air induction? The difference in power
between a
		Giulietta and a Giulietta Veloce was 10 hp, 12.5%, which is
attributable to a
		combination of the cold ducted air, two Webers in place of
the single Solex,
		7% higher compression (9.1 vs 8.5), 5% greater valve lift
and about 5% longer
		duration. I would think that the Webers, the camshafts, and
the compression
		ratio would get the lion's share of the credit.

		John H.